In Still Life and Death, when Savanna Shepherd needs information about people on her personal list of murder suspects, she knows who to turn to: Yvonne, her friend who works in the city council office and has access to important files. To persuade Yvonne to help, Savanna brings her treats from the local bakery, including a chocolate pecan brownie that’s to die for. File this scrumptious recipe away for any time you need to talk someone into something. Hey, it worked for Savanna!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- ? cup unsalted butter
- 5 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened baking chocolate
- As needed no-stick cooking spray
- As needed flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ? teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup flour
- ? cup pecan pieces
- The Secret Ingredient: 1 handful good-quality dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine butter and chocolate squares in a small skillet or heavy saucepan and heat over low heat until melted. Set aside to cool.
3. Spray a 9-inch x 12-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
4. Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in mixing bowl; beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
5. Add cooled chocolate mixture to mixing bowl; whisk by-hand until blended.
6. Add flour to mixing bowl; whisk by-hand until blended.
7. Add nuts and "secret ingredient" to mixing bowl; whisk by-hand until blended.
8. Using a rubber spatula, pour batter into baking pan; spread evenly and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Cool.
9. Cut into 16 rectangle-shaped pieces and serve.